Finally, after a long drawn out, miserable winter, Spring is here! The harsh winter has more than likely caused damage to your beautiful home. Now that the warmth has arrived and you’ve begun to start working in your garden, cleaning up debris from the heavy snow or even just assessing the damages to your home.
Here are a few pointers on how to be sure your home is protected.
- Check for loose and leaky gutters. Improper drainage can cause leaks into your crawlspace or basement. Make sure downspouts are also turned away from your home
- Probe wood around windows and doors. Do your best to make repairs now before the spring rain arrives.
- From the ground, check for missing or damaged shingles. If your home has an older covering, you may want to start budgeting for a replacement. Summer sun will damage any shingles that are cracked, buckled, loose or missing granules.
- Flashing around plumbing vents, skylights or chimneys need to be checked and repaired by a qualified roofer.
- Check your home’s siding. Repairs to wood and vinyl siding require expertise to remove damaged siding while leaving non damaged siding in tact. Unless you, yourself have knowledge of siding, this is best left to the professionals.
- Take a good look at your windows. Very harsh cold can cause shrinkage between your frame and siding. To prevent drafts and high heating cooling bills, it’s best to asses the situation. If your windows are old and you are experiencing problems throughout your home, new windows may be the best thing for you. Good quality windows come with a lifetime warranty so that when making the decision on what route to take, remember that this is not your average purchase, it is an investment in your home.
Lastly, when you are looking for a company that provides new vinyl windows, siding or a high quality roof, looking within your community. Ask people you know. Research your local companies. American Weathertechs LLC, not only has top of the line products but also provides outstanding service. Recently chosen for the Consumer’s Choice award for Customer Service and Angie’s List Super Service award. American Weathertechs LLC, services Cincinnati, Columbus and the Northern Kentucky Area.